Capitol Connection is recognized by California’s lawmakers and the Sacramento lobbying community as one of the State’s most determined and highly respected governmental advocacy organizations. Founded in 1986 by California’s prominent lobbyist Brian L. Hatch, our team offers decades of experience providing the most effective legislative, administrative, and budgetary advocacy.
Capitol Connection offers specialized legislative assistance in the areas of fire service and emergency medical services, taxation, education, healthcare, retirement, workers compensation, labor and employment, environmental protection, consumer privacy, energy, and political reform act issues. As a Capitol Connection client, you are offered the best opportunity to achieve legislative success and will benefit from our excellent long-standing relationships with public and private sector decision-makers.
Capitol Connection’s goal is to connect you to your solution—with your needs fulfilled and issues successfully resolved.
- Develop and draft legislative proposals seeking your solution through a change in California Law.
- Work with Assembly and Senate Rules Committees to assure that your legislation is assigned to the appropriate policy committee.
- Build consensus for your legislative proposal by working with the Governor’s Office, Department of Finance, Legislative Analyst, potential legislative co-authors, and affected state agencies, as well as public and private stakeholders.
- Meet with Legislators who serve on the policy and fiscal committees where your legislation will be heard.
- Shepherd your legislation through both houses of the Legislature and work to secure a signature by the Governor.
- Defeat or amend legislation sponsored by others, which is contrary to your best interests.
Represent you before state administrative bodies (including the Board of Equalization, Franchise Tax Board, Public Utilities Commission, Commission on State Mandates, Cal-OSHA Standards Board, Public Employee Retirement Board and other regulatory agencies) regarding the drafting of regulations, in order to ensure appropriate application of the law in the protection of your interests.
- Advocate for your budgetary interests during the annual Budget process, including securing meetings with fiscal committee and subcommittee members and staff, engaging with relevant stakeholders, preparing you to testify before committees, and ensuring that you are kept apprised of budget hearings and discussions.
- Produce written reports and presentations on legislation, budget actions, and regulatory activities of importance to you.
- Pursue Legislative Counsel and Attorney General opinions to clarify the application of certain provisions of California Law of interest to you.